Job Title: Principal
Responsible to: Managing Director
Responsible for : N/A
Date : November 2019
Working Hours: Full Time
As the Principal you will be responsible for fostering and maintaining a clear vision for the future of the college. It will be your duty to widen opportunities for education within the community, driving forward both the commercial and educational success of the college. The principal will have overall responsibility for the continued development and growth of the college’s provision across both FE and HE ensuring policies and regulatory requirements are met.
- Leading on the strategy, planning, management and delivery of courses and qualifications, learning resources, libraries, and research.
- Leading on the development of the College as a model for national excellence and innovation.
- Ensuring the College develops and implements all necessary academic policies and procedure, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, relevant legislation and good practice.
- Establishing clear lines of responsibility for the curriculum, the successful financial management, and development and improvement of the student experience.
- Ensure all monitoring and evaluations are reported to the Senior Management Team.
- Facilitating cultural and business change by developing agreed objectives and operational plans to meet the college’s strategic plan.
- Contributing to the development and reporting of the financial planning of the College.
Education and Welfare
- Direct line management responsibility for all academic staff ensuring the implementation of all staffing policies and procedures. Oversee effective performance monitoring systems that evaluate systems of teaching and learning.
- Manage, monitor and review the use of all available resources to improve the quality of education.
- Advise and make recommendations as necessary to ensure the academic, personal and professional development of staff and students.
- Manage, monitor and review systems to ensure proper safeguarding, equality, inclusion and health and safety management for students at the College and implement related policies.
- Maintaining a regulatory framework within which staff can work with students to maintain satisfactory standards of conduct and bring about improvement in conduct where necessary.
- Fostering and maintaining effective relationships with local, regional and national agencies.
- Representing the college at external and internal events.
- Responsible for effective communications amongst academic staff.
- Attending and/or leading as appropriate at College meetings, including, policy and resources, standards and audit committees etc.
- Interview prospective students and meet parents or guardians as and when required.
- General correspondence and liaison with students and tutors as and when required.
- Ability to travel between sites and to meet external commitments.
- Ability to work flexibly, often outside normal working hours.
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally on College business.
- Education to degree level.
- Higher professional, educational or management qualification.
- Teaching qualification.
- Evidence of active engagement in professional networks and organisations.
Knowledge Essential Substantial Knowledge of:
- Post-16 education and training.
- Key policies and targets for national, regional and local further and higher education.
- Educational funding and financial management in the public sector.
- Effective Quality Assurance Policies and Practices, including the Common Inspection Framework.
- The effective use of information and learning technologies in a complex organisation.
- Safeguarding Children and Young People and Vulnerable Adults.
- Significant cross college leadership experience in further education delivery.
- Responsibility for successful delivery of budgetary, curriculum and staff resources at a senior level.
- Substantial experience of leading the development of further education curriculum to secure progression opportunities.
- Experience of and strong track record in improving academic standards.
- Substantial experience of managing and developing quality standards and performance measures, including driving quality improvement in teaching and learning.
- Experience of working effectively with employers, other sectors of education and external agencies.
- Production of annual self-assessment reports.
- Production and implementation of service and business plans.
- Leadership experience of higher education.
- Experience of income generation initiatives and of diversification of income.
- Experience of managing student support and welfare services.
- Vision and the ability to develop effective strategy.
- Proven management and leadership skills at a senior level – both strategic and operational.
- The ability to:
- Develop and maintain relationships at all levels, internally and externally.
- Operate as an effective ambassador for the College.
- Communicate effectively and build cohesion among staff, recognising the importance of the high visibility approach.
- Motivate, inspire and influence a large and diverse workforce by example and persuasion.
- Develop and project a positive image of the College through personal, written and oral skills.
- Recognise, develop and effectively promote new opportunities for the college.
- Proven ability of the use of business IT systems, including Microsoft Office – Word and Excel
- High level interpersonal skills and empathy with others.
- Integrity, inclusivity and respect for diversity.
- Be a role model for the College values.
- Team leader and team player, with a whole-team approach.
- Commitment to working in partnership for the benefit of learners.
- Energy, enthusiasm and resilience.
- Social confidence and the ability to represent the college effectively with outside agencies, companies and other bodies.
- Commitment to equality and diversity in all activities.
- Strategic vision and an eye for detail.
- Stamina to maintain progress and overcome obstacles